Monday, January 7, 2013

Introduction

About 18 months ago I bought myself a guitar with the intention of learning to play.
Apart from an initial burst of enthusiasm, it has mainly been left gathering dust. Or at least until about six months ago when I started playing it a little more. Even once a week was more than I was playing in the past!
I had seen adverts about Rocksmith, and thought it would be a good way to learn, so it was stuck on my wishlist and I was bought a copy by my parents.
It took me nearly a week to get around to installing and plugging the guitar in,
My verdict? It's frustrating as anything, but I am enjoying it quite a lot.
I have just progressed from the beginner stage to "New Act" which sounds more exciting than it really is.

Gameplay

The basic idea is that you follow the notes on screen and as you improve the game gives you more challenging notes to play. This came as quite a surprise to me the first few times it happened, and was even worse as the game decided it was time to play chords. I'll not repeat what I said the first time it happened, and I totally sucked at getting my fingers in the right place to get the chord with enough time to play it.
There are sections of the game aimed at helping you with techniques, and chords are included in that. It shows you the individual notes (and insists that you actually play them) before playing the full chord.

Sidegames

I have unlocked three of the sidegames that come with it: Ducks, Super Ducks and Big Swing Baseball. They ok, but not my reason for the game.

Songs

There are a wide range of rock songs included as part of the game, and you start at a practice session and when you achieve a high enough score you progress to play a gig at a venue. 
If you play well enough then you get to play another song (or two) as an encore and earn more RSP.

No comments:

Post a Comment