Thursday, January 10, 2013

Well Ok, Honey


Well Ok Honey

This song is by Jenny O on her Home album.
This is a nice quirky song that I am enjoying trying to play. I like the lyrics and the light, bouncy feel to the song. I'd love to see her live, but she's LA based I think and it's a bit far to travel for a gig.

I've been trying to play this track for around 4 hours, and was within around 100 points of qualifying when my playing went to pieces. Probably not helped by a glass of red.

I'm enjoying the tune enough that I've spent a little time looking at her website http://jennyo.com and have subscribed to her twitter feed and liked her page on Facebook  When I get some spare money I think I'll probably buy her Home CD too.

I'm tempted to see if the guitarsmith will cope with me sticking my mixing desk between the guitar and the PS3, and taking a feed to record what I'm playing on the laptop. I have a suspicion that it won't sound anything like the guitar that I hear over the game though. I might be able to set it up so that Lynn can sing along and have that recorded alongside the lousy guitar playing ;-)  If that happens, keep an eye on Soundcloud as we might put our embarrassment for the world to see. That might persuade Angie that she doesn't really want us to get up at one of her open mic nights!

We did discover that the plugging a usb microphone into the PS will give the singer feedback on how well they are singing. Lynn got more compliments from the software than I got. You don't get extra points for having a vocalist when learning, and we couldn't find an option to have the game use the microphone on two player mode. I suppose it makes sense, as it is for helping to learn to play the guitar.

Perhaps another release (or an entirely new game) could be something along the lines of a full band version, accepting electronic drums as well as a vocalist to help with the guitar and bass that guitarsmith currently accepts. So learning to drum, play lead, rhythm, bass guitar and sing. Is a TV big enough to show all of the band parts at the same time?

My plan to start having sensible bedtimes hasn’t been successful, it's rapidly approaching midnight again.

How close am I to qualifiying? My best was about 24,500 points, but I'm getting between 20k and 22k at the moment. The qualifier is just under 25k points. So it's close, but no cigar. Perhaps I'll manage tomorrow – and then another song to try to learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment