Sunday, July 14, 2013

The first "performance"

My aim for today was to reach at least 40,000 in the Stones' Satisfaction, I'd left the game with a score of around 21,000 and to find out about the shifting technique. So after finishing off my left over pizza for breakfast this was my first plan.

I did pick up my guitar last night, after applying a temporary fix to my son's laptop, breaking my glasses (£200 to get them fixed) and watching Monsters University. I could still remember part of the main riff for Satisfaction, so I suppose that is progress of a sort.

I think I need to buy the songs I'm learning to play, and to see about getting tabs or the sheet music for them too; just so I can practice.

Shifting Technique

Shifting is getting your fingers in anchor zones so that you can quickly get your fingers down on the frets to play the notes in rapid sequence. I did ok with this technique challenge, scoring 23847 where the bronze target was 10,000.

Next Girl by The Black Keys

First time through I needed 9,100 to qualify and earned 26,394. The second attempt added hammer on's to the mix and earned 60417, as the next level was 70k I thought I'd have another go and scored 74,166 with a 54 note streak and 89% accuracy. I felt like I missed more than 11% of the notes though.

Although I was wanting to rehearse Satisfaction until I beat 40k points, I couldn't find the song in the play list so I thought I'd see how I did playing it cold.

I unlocked Sustains, Hammer On's and Pull Off's as well as getting Authentic Tones Stomp Box Blues, Modified Tremelo Filter pedal, the British Wah pedal, the Reverbs Baritone 4X10 cabinet - I may need to edit this as I couldn't quite read my notes! - and also got my first customisable gear unlocked too.

New Techniques

Hammer On and Pull Off Technique

These are ways of playing notes more rapidly without needing to strum. A Hammer On is fretting a string firmly enough to make the note ring out, and a Pull Off is removing your finger fast enough to also make the note ring. I'm not sure if it's the way that I've been doing them, but they sound slightly softer than plucking or picking a note.

On my first attempted I scored 7103, with Bronze at 10k (Silver 30k and Gold 66k). Second attempt I did better, but missed several hammer on and offs as I wasn't quick enough to process where my fingers were supposed to be moving to, and scored 1004. My final two attempts scored 13413 and 17959 points.

Sustain

A sustain is basically keeping the note ringing and ringing for as long as required. First attempt I got 64443 with Gold at 70k (Silver and Bronze were 40k and 10k respectively). I did hit gold on my second attempt, but hadn't noted the score I got!

Ducks

This is an arcade game where you try to shoot ducks by playing the correct note. I occasionally manage to miss, even though I thought I was fretting the right note. I'll need to have a think about what is going wrong with it I think.

The Performance

This was playing The Rolling Stones (I can't get no) Satisfaction and The Black Keys Next Girl. I scored 28616 and 76362 and got an encore to play Jarvis Cocker's Angela and scored 28,353 giving me a total of 133,325 RSP.

I unlocked The Mouse Hole venue as well as an Epiphone Limited Edition Wilshire guitar, and an Auto Filter.

I didn't hit the target I was aiming for with Satisfaction, but other than that was fairly happy with how I'm playing in the game. My left wrist was aching again at the end of this session (and being honest it was aching from about half way through as well) so it's a good point to stop.

My current RSP level is 335834 and I am making progress to the top of the Amateur section.

Coming Next

There are three songs in the next set list:

Higher Ground by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers (1300 to qualify), Go With The Flow by the Queens of the Stone Age (1300) and In Bloom by Nirvana (4300 to qualify).

I think first, though, I will have another run through the first performance, if I can work out how to get back to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment