Saturday, October 5, 2013

I played 18 songs today, for a total playing time of just over an hour.

As well as playing the songs on my practice list and set lists, I also spent a little time on the Guitarcade games, just for the fun of it after I'd finished playing the songs.

Podcasting and Videocasting

I'd like to have a go at both of these, but first I need to get a couple of issues sorted out first.

I haven't worked out a way of getting the output from the guitar into the computer while I'm playing, and am considering hooking the hard disk recorder up and spending time editing video's; although that will be fairly boring (both for the editing and watching).

What I really want to do is to grab the audio from the console and a clean version of the guitar and recording that. I can push the console to the left and the guitar to the right channels and record the stereo and separate the two on the computer, but so far I haven't managed to get the guitar through the desk and into the PS3 without getting a significant distortion in what I'm playing.

If it wasn't for work getting in the way, I think I'd have this sorted by now.

When I get the audio sorted, then I am going to look at getting a camera to record my playing, and (possibly) a microphone so you can hear what I'm saying, although the singing will get in the way of anybodies enjoyment...

Changing the way I'm practicing

As I was playing I was thinking about organising the way I practice again a little.

Instead of starting straight into the songs I need for the set list, in future I am planning on playing the older songs to get my fingers and brain warmed up to playing before doing the songs for the sets I need to rehearse.

As each of the songs has a practice mode where you can work on a specific part of the song, I'm thinking about running through that too to get the bits where I'm struggling improved. I'd noticed that helped James when he was playing a while ago (although 30 times through the opening section of Satisfaction was getting a little frustrating for both of us - I was playing alongside James but not plugged into anything - thankfully James got it sorted in less than that).

I am also thinking about running through some of the Guitarcade games before playing the songs too, this might help to get me properly warmed up.

So, what I'm going to do for the next time is (carefully) check my tuning, play a round of each of the games (and perhaps build on the list of the Scale Runner scales too), play the songs I've already completed sets for, run through the riff repeater for Well Ok Honey and finally play the songs for each set list. 

That should nicely fill up the morning, I spent around 2-3 hours in total with the game running this morning.

Guitarcade

I ran through all of the guitarcade games that I have unlocked, a brief summary of each is listed below. 

Ducks

This is the first one that gets unlocked, and you have to play the right fret on the low E to shoot the duck. I'd been playing a drop D song just prior to starting this, and I think I might have the tuning slightly out, because I missed several that I was holding the correct fret down. 
I didn't get onto the leader board this time

Super Ducks

First time I've tried this one, and it is similar to Ducks, except that you can be asked to play any of the strings to shoot the ducks.  

Scale Runner

As the title suggests, you get to practice playing your scales with this game. You need to play the correct next note from the scale to have your character jump to the right note. If you don't play the right note the character falls, and if you take too long to jump you also fall.

You get a small diagram of where the notes are on the fretboard in the lower left.

The scales supported are: Major, Minor, Minor Pentatonic, Major Pentatonic, Blues, Dorian, Phyrgian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Harmonic major and Phyrgian Dominant.

I had a look at the Major option, and is covers the A, A#/Bb, B, C, C#/Db, D, E, F, F#/Gb, G and G#/Ab scales. At a rough guess, if each scale type has the same 11 different scales then there are around 132 different versions of the game. That might just take a little time to master.

A Major scale

This was the only one I had a go at, and scored 9700 on the first attempt and 41000 on the second attempt.

Baseball

This game you are playing baseball and have to hit the right note at the right time to get a run. I didn't get onto the leader board this time.

Super Slider

This is a dropping blocks game, and you have to slide the note to where you want the block to fall. Strumming causes the block to fall. Usual sort of ideas for falling blocks games, where you gain points for the bigger the chains of blocks that get matched and removed. 

Scored 10900 today.

Dawn of the Chorded

With this game, you have to play the nominated chord to shoot the zombies. What more can I say? I really enjoy this one, if you exclude that I'm really bad at forming chords quickly. That will improve I suspect given enough time and practice. This game will definitely improve how I play songs and the speed it takes me to switch my fingers.

Today's score was 34,300. 

Todays Songs

Vasoline by Stone Temple Pilots. Todays score was 65535. My previous best score was 62001. Another improvement to playing (according to the game, no idea what the neighbours thought). I got a brief flash of a new chord something like an Eb or Bb, I don't recall exactly what it said I was in the wtf!? mode at the change. I should be used to it by now.

I Can't Hear You by The Dead Weather. Todays score was 30681. Not far from the previous score of 20681.

Surf Hell by Little Barrie. It feels good to improve on a score, and I managed that today. Todays score was 29292. My previous best score was 24932.

Unnatural Selection by Muse. Todays score was 20595. Really enjoyed playing this today, even through I didn't improve on my previous score. Go figure.

Use Somebody by Kings of Leon. Todays score was 16796. I messed up with getting the A5 and F5 chords today, so this might be a riff-repeater job.

Where is My Mind? by Pixies. Todays score was 45784.

365 Brannen

Well OK Honey by Jenny O. Todays score was 18690. This is one that I will be running the riff-repeater on until I get some of the tricky bits right. A lot of the technique so far involves playing notes from a D chord (D7th? don't quite recall)

Me and the Bean by Spoon. Todays score was 33775. My previous best score was 29365.

Play with Fire by The Rolling Stones. Todays score was 21509. I do enjoy this song, and will be a future candidate for the riff-repeater.

Song 2 by Blur. Todays score was 33628. Nowhere near the qualifier, but that's because I lost concentration part way through the song.

Third Street Lounge

I Got Mine by The Black Keys. Todays score was 24253. My previous best score was 20418.

Do You Remember by The Horrors. Todays score was 34150.

Breed by Nirvana. Todays score was 43920. My previous best score was 41370.

Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz. Todays score was 9453.

When I'm with You by Best Coast. Todays score was 26551. My previous best score was 22280.

All Songs I've Played

SongArtist(s)Best ScoreLatest Score
(I Can't Get No) SatisfactionThe Rolling Stones7409773793
Next GirlThe Black Keys8334983349
AngelaJarvis Cocker7687476874
Higher GroundRed Hot Chili Peppers5675656756
Go With the FlowQueens of the Stone Age8983689836
In BloomNirvana3930139301
California BrainRapScallions91369196
VasolineStone Temple Pilots6200165535
Slow HandsInterpol4225742257
I Can't Hear YouThe Dead Weather3087230681
Surf HellLittle Barrie2493229292
Boys Don't CryThe Cure2682026820
Unnatural SelectionMuse2502920595
OutshinedSoundgarden3473830338
Number ThirteenRed Fang2853123345
Use SomebodyKings of Leon3475716796
Where is My Mind?Pixies5043245784
Well OK HoneyJenny O2022218690
Me and the BeanSpoon2936533775
Play with FireThe Rolling Stones2453521509
Song 2Blur6286533628
I Got MineThe Black Keys2041824253
Do You RememberThe Horrors3627034150
BreedNirvana4137043920
Are You Gonna Go My WayLenny Kravitz125009453
When I'm with YouBest Coast2228026551

No comments:

Post a Comment